1.16.2014

WHAT WOULD 10 YEAR OLD DUANE THINK?

(royalty free image from clipartoday.com)

A Facebook friend recently posted a drawing he did. It was of a little boy looking at a man watching TV. What really caught my attention was the caption he added: “What would 10 year old me think if he saw me now?”

That really got me thinking. What was I doing when I was 10 years old? What did I enjoy doing the most? What were my hopes and dreams? How did I want my life to turn out? And the big question: What would 10 year old me think if he saw me now? 

Honestly, I think he would be impressed. I’m not saying my life is perfect and exactly how I hoped it would turn out. But on the plus side, I have a comfortable home, a reliable car, and no debt. I’m not currently working but I don’t feel guilty about it because I worked hard for many years. I know I will find a job when I’m ready to go back to work. 

Also on the plus side, I’ve had a lot of different jobs, done some traveling, and tried a lot of different things. It’s not as if I’ve been stuck in a rut, doing the same thing forever. 

I’m a positive, happy person. Mean and negative people are deleted from my life as quickly as possible. I used to want to save them all, but I learned that if people don’t ask for help, it’s usually because they don’t want to change. Some people are literally happy being miserable. I don’t get it, but it’s true. Since adopting a “live and let live” philosophy, I feel a huge burden has been lifted off me. Who put that burden there in the first place? I did. 

Something else I finally let go of is the need to make everything around me perfect. I used to drive myself crazy trying to make everything exactly how I wanted it to be. I usually came up short of perfection, which added stress to my life. I finally asked myself, “Who says it has to be perfect?” Only me. Not anymore.

So, back to “What would 10 year old me think if he saw me now?” When I was 10 years old, I loved to ride my bike and play outside. I still ride my bike often. I keep it inside the house. I do regular maintenance on it and keep it tuned up and ready to go anytime I want to ride it. I still play outside, but it looks a little different than it did when I was 10. Now it looks like going for walks, mowing and watering the lawn, and gardening. 

Is my life exactly what 10 year old Duane expected? No. Am I happy? Yes. Would 10 year old Duane be proud? Absolutely.

Now go take on the day!

Peace, out.


Check out Duane’s Youtube channel 

No comments:

Post a Comment